--------------------------
My photo

I am a writer, because I am a reader, a passionate reader of the events. Apart from doing my literary writing, I try to see how a particular event would and could affect the people living in its immediate surround.

POEM: Singing A Song of Womanhood

THE SONG OF A MOTHER’S GIRL

I live in the land of no where

I live in the land of everywhere

Where the rocks melt with throbbing thrill

Spreading their fertile dust down the hill

Distant foliage o’ forest blue and green

Chats with me in the words soft and pristine

O beloved land green, with you I feel as queen

I sat whispering with the swan couple who glean

Talking with the waterfall on mountain ring

I sleep unclothed on the spot where cuckoos sing

O my heart, tune your beats with the green leaves

Where tiny bird-couples chat with their heaves

I live in the land where they sing the songs devout

I live on the land where the seeds of hope sprout

(A poem by Sapna George, An Indian Poetess)

The song Of Mother’s Girl is the song of a girl who is standing on the border; the border of girlhood and womanhood. She has crossed the boundary, as her age is now of a full-fledged women. But the innocence of her earlier years is still pulsating under her new grown status. She finds her land for living unlimited and unknown.

I live in the land of no where / I live in the land of everywhere

Here she is in the age where a person wanders in every lane and wonders for every piece of beauty seen. But this newly born woman wonders about her immediate environment first. She loves her land of birth; she roams over the green cover that the mother earth is wearing on it.

Distant foliage o’ forest blue and green / Chats with me in the words soft and pristine

This period of life is perhaps the most amazing time of one’s life; this span of time is perhaps the most turbulent passage of one’s life, too. This is the point of time where a person, man or woman, becomes more aware of himself or herself. Here in this poem Sapna George has tried narrating the inner turbulence going in the Girl’s mind and heart. That’s why the poetess had in the very first line declared that I live in the land of no where. However the thinking of the girl has acquired a developed stage, leaving thoughts of her bygone age really behind. Here the new woman seems to have got a clear-cut identity for herself. Sapna, the poetess, declares the Mother’s Girl’s maturity in these lines. (Image Courtesy Wikimedia Commons)

I live in the land where they sing the songs devout

I live on the piece of land where seeds of hope sprout

The poet tells many things through the lines written and by the lines unwritten. Here the poet does not miss to enrich the poem by embedding some unwritten lines, too. It is because the girl has come of the age; and so she is bound to become more aware about the changes her body is going through, the changes her stream of thoughts is passing through. In this meaning-packed poem the newly born woman winks at her newly acquired feeling too, the feeling of sexuality; though not in straight words but by the symbolism. Look at these lines:

Talking with the waterfall on mountain ring

I sleep unclothed on the spot where cuckoos sing

O my heart, tune your beats with the green leaves

Where tiny bird-couples chat with their heaves Or at

O beloved land green, with you I feel as queen / I sat whispering with the swan couple who glean

Here poetess Sapna George has tried in her poem narrating the inner trade of a ‘Girl Coming to Age’, the age of maturity, the age where she is to face the realities of the life ahead. With the 'Girl Coming to Age’, we can see that a poet in Sapna is also coming of age, touching the matured land of poetry where poets and writers express their feeling through mature words, putting everything they felt in a pleasurable form. (READ OTHER POEMS BY SAPNA GEORGE)

OTHER REVIEWS OF POEMS

GOOGLE SEARCH